Call for Applications: Opportunities offered by Association of Commonwealth Universities
1. Commonwealth Climate Research Cohort 2021 (Deadline: 31 January 2021)
ACU has partnered with the British Council to launch the Commonwealth Climate Research Cohort – a platform for researchers to bring multidisciplinary knowledge and expertise to a global stage, build international collaborations, and work with experts to influence on issues related to climate and environment in their communities and beyond in the lead up to the 26th UN Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP26). ACU is seeking 24 outstanding climate and environment researchers to form the cohort and serve as members of an ACU Regional Committee.
Benefits to successful applicants
- Funded attendance at COP26 in Glasgow, UK (travel restriction dependent)
- Leadership training with a cohort of peers through virtual, expert-led workshops
- Skills development for knowledge exchange and policy influence
- The opportunity to conduct a peer-led research-to-action project with seed funding
- Access to mentorship from an international network of climate and environment researchers through the ACU’s Commonwealth Climate Resilience Network
- Applicants must be based at an ACU member university, including CUHK
- Have a letter signed by their head of department, supervisor, or other senior member of staff supporting their participation in this project between March and November 2021
- Hold a PhD at the time of application
- Be a post-doctoral researcher with no more than eight years of post-doctoral research experience working in the broad field of climate and environment research, who is in a funded research role until at least December 2021
- Enrolled on a PhD at the time of application
- Have demonstrable and significant experience in research and leadership in the broad field of climate and environment research, and be in a funded research role until at least December 2021
Support offered by SDSN Hong Kong
The Hong Kong Chapter of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN Hong Kong) supports CUHK staff and PhD students who are interested in the cohort by connecting them with other SDSN networks, including:
- Thematic networks and working groups in similar or related research interests, and
- National or regional networks, in particular those of Commonwealth countries such as SDSN Canada and SDSN Australia, New Zealand & Pacific.
The CUHK Secretariat of SDSN Hong Kong [c/o the Social Responsibility and Sustainable Development Office (SRSDO)] will be happy to assist interested applicants to connect with the various SDSN networks or research groups, either during the application stage or after the application is successful. For details, please contact Dr. Matthew Pang of SRSDO (Tel: 3943 3013 / Email: email@example.com)
Interested parties should complete the online application form with the required information by 31 January 2021, 23:59 UTC.
2. Early Career Conference Grants 2021 (Deadline: 9 February 2021)
The Early Career Conference Grants support emerging academics who have never travelled for work purposes (including conferences) outside their region of employment since the start of their academic career to take part in an international conference. This year, the grants will solely fund participation in virtual (online) conferences which take place between 1 June and 31 December 2021.
- Applicants must be employed by an ACU member university, including CUHK, as a lecturer, post-doctoral researcher, professor, associate professor, or equivalent
- Be within seven years of the start of their academic (research/teaching) career
- Have previously never travelled for work purposes (including conferences) outside their region of employment since the start of their academic career (definition of regions).
The grants cover
- Conference registration fee: up to GBP 500
- Data grant of GBP 50 if needed
- Free access to virtual presentation training
Interested parties should complete the online application form with the required information by 9 February 2021, 16:00 UTC.
Applicants of the above programmes are advised to send a copy of their application to the Office of Academic Links (c/o Ms. LAI Ching Yee; firstname.lastname@example.org) for record.