Call for application
The following programmes are open for application / registration:
Dr. Barbara Kwok Young Postdoctoral Researcher Travel Grants 2019-20
The Dr. Barbara Kwok Young Postdoctoral Researcher Travel Grants are set up with the generous donation from alumna Dr. Barbara Pik-lin Kwok. The Grants are newly launched to recognise research achievements of CUHK early-career researchers through the provision of financial support to attend conferences, seminars, and short-term visits/training outside Hong Kong which would help further their professional development and career advancement.
The Grants are open to full-time staff with doctoral degrees who are in the positions of Research Associates, Postdoctoral Fellows, Research Fellows, or Senior Research Fellows.
The key features of the scheme are highlighted as follows,
- The Grants will support up to 20 eligible CUHK researchers each year with an award of up to HK$25,000 for each successful application.
- Applicants should submit applications with concrete plans for activities including,
- Present an academic paper authored or co-authored by the applicant at an international conference or seminar organised by a regional/international professional body;
- Visit laboratories or universities outside Hong Kong under a well-planned schedule to foster potential collaboration or conduct research work;
- Attend a short-term training course to advance the applicant’s research skills and expertise required to build his/her academic career; or
- Conduct other academic activities.
- The Grants can be used to cover the economy class return air ticket, onsite accommodation, registration fee for the conference/seminar, and short course training fee.
- The closing date for the current call is 31 October 2019, Thursday.
For the scheme details, guidelines and online application form, please refer to the webpage at here.
Short-term Faculty Exchange Programme & PhD Student Exchange Programme for 2019-20 (Second Round)
The Short-term Faculty Exchange Programme and PhD Student Exchange Programme for 2019–20 are open for application (second round). Applications should reach the Office of Academic Links by 6 November 2019, Wednesday.
1. Short-term Faculty Exchange Programme (for CUHK faculty members)
The programme aims to expand CUHK’s network with selected international partners by supporting the development of individual research. It also fosters stronger ties between faculty members of CUHK and its partner institutions for academic and research exchange. CUHK will be responsible for a return air ticket while the host institutions will provide accommodation for up to seven nights. The selected partners are:
- Waseda University, Japan
- University of Bristol, UK
Up to two awards will be made under the programme in this round to support visits to the above institutions. The research visit shall be carried out and completed before 31 July 2020. The programme guidelines and application form can be accessed at: https://www.oal.cuhk.edu.hk/sfep.
2. PhD Student Exchange Programme (for CUHK PhD students)
The programme provides funding support to CUHK PhD students to undertake short-term research visits at the partner institutions. Selected CUHK PhD students will receive a sponsorship of HK$15,000-HK$50,000.
One award will be made under the programme in this round to support research attachment at Brown University, USA. The research visit shall be carried out and completed before 31 August 2020. The programme guidelines and application form can be accessed at: https://www.oal.cuhk.edu.hk/phdsep.
Asia-Pacific Conference on Innovation and Entrepreneurship Ecosystems
CUHK will be hosting the inaugural Asia-Pacific Conference on Innovation and Entrepreneurship Ecosystems in partnership with the Association of Pacific Rim Universities (APRU), the University of Hong Kong and the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology during 2-5 December 2019 at the Hong Kong Science Park.
With the theme on Hong Kong’s role in the Greater Bay Area’s development of entrepreneurship ecosystem, the Conference aims at creating a venue for critical dialogues focusing on nurturing innovation and entrepreneurship ecosystems and inspiring collaboration across disciplines, sectors, and geographies. The themes include:
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Entrepreneurship in Construction
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) Entrepreneurship in Health Care
- Role of Research Universities in Innovation-led Economic Growth
- Challenges and Opportunities of Entrepreneurship in the Greater Bay Area
The Conference invites participation from faculty members, researchers and students. You are invited to consider taking part in the Conference and share the opportunity with those who may be interested. Please register online at the webpage. For more details on the Conference and registration fee, please refer to the website. For enquiries, please contact the conference secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CUHK-Stanford University CASBS Partner Fellowship Program 2020-21
CUHK and Stanford University’s Center for Advanced Study in Behavioral Sciences (CASBS) have a Partner Fellowship Program which provides opportunities for CUHK faculty members to take part in a residential fellowship program at Stanford University that fosters interdisciplinary intellectual exchange and contribute to advancing research and thinking in the social sciences. Fellows represent the core social and behavioral sciences but also the humanities, education, linguistics, communications, and the biological, natural, health, and computer sciences. The selected fellows will spend nine months at CASBS, where they will meet with fellows from diverse academic disciplines worldwide. The program will strengthen their academic network and facilitate collaborations across academia, policy, industry, civil society, and government to collectively design a better future.
The following provisions will be provided to the selected fellow under this fellowship program:
- Salary at CUHK (provided on the ground of leave granted)
- Housing allowance (to be offered by CUHK and CASBS)
- Relocation allowance (to be offered by CASBS)
- Research allowance (to be offered by CASBS)
The program is now inviting applications for 2020-21 (Official visit period: September 2020-May 2021). Interested applicants should apply to CASBS directly via the online application portal and submit the required materials by 1 November 2019. Applications will be considered by CASBS and CUHK. The selected applicant will be informed of the result in February 2020. For more details, please refer to the program webpage.
Eurasia-Pacific Uninet Ernst Mach Grant for PhD Students and Post-Docs 2019-20
The Eurasia-Pacific Uninet (EPU) is inviting applications from PhD students and Post-Docs of CUHK for a research scholarship programme for 2019-20. The programme provides support to PhD students and Post-Docs undertaking short-term research attachments at one of the EPU member institutions in Austria. Application will close on 1 October 2019.
Terms of Award
- Duration of visit:
- 1-9 months for PhD students
- 1-6 months for Post-Docs
- Value of award:
- €1,050 per month for PhD students
- €1,150 per month for Post-Docs
- The award is meant to cover accident and health insurance, accommodation, visa, daily-life and travel expenditures. Recipients may receive an additional travel subsidy of up to €1,000.
- Recipients are exempted from tuition fees.
- The Austrian Agency for International Cooperation in Education and Research will provide logistic support on health insurance as well as accommodation.
Eligible Fields of Study / Research
- Agricultural Sciences
- Human Medicine, Health Sciences
- Natural Sciences
- Social Sciences
- Technical Sciences
Interested applicants should submit their application online. The closing date is 1 October 2019. Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview. Please visit here for more details.
Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton 2020-21
Membership application to the Institute for Advanced Study (IAS), Princeton, USA is now open.
IAS is an independent private institution founded in 1930 to create a community of scholars focused on intellectual inquiry, free from teaching and other university obligations. Each year, scholars from around the world apply to go to one of the four Schools at IAS to pursue their research.
The eligibility, funding details, and application procedures vary among different Schools. Those who are chosen are offered a membership for a set period and a stipend. Members receive access to the extensive resources of the Institute, including offices, housing facilities, access to libraries, subsidised restaurant, and some secretarial services. For more information please visit here.
Sophia Lecturing – Research Grant offered by Sophia University, Japan
The Sophia Lecturing – Research Grant offered by Sophia University, Japan is now open for application. Faculty members are encouraged to make use of the opportunity to explore collaborations with Sophia University.
|Sophia Lecturing – Research Grant|
|Funding period||A visit of up to three months during 1 April 2021 to 31 March 2022|
|Scope of support||
|Application||Please submit your application together with the following documents by post to the STEC office by 31 May 2020.
Postal address of the STEC office:
Professor Masahiro Rikukawa
The application result will be announced in September 2020. Applicants are advised to submit a copy of their applications to the Office of Academic Links (c/o Ms. Alice Leong; email@example.com) for record.
To learn more about the faculty members and their respective research fields at the Faculty of Science and Technology in Sophia University, please download its booklet here. The programme guidelines and the application form are also accessible at here. For enquiries, please contact the STEC office at firstname.lastname@example.org.