Call for application
The following programmes are open for applications:
McDonnell International Scholars Academy Scholarship Programme 2019-20
The Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL), USA, is inviting applications to the McDonnell International Scholars Academy (McDonnell Academy) for admission in 2019–20. The McDonnell Academy is a scholarship programme for graduates of WUSTL’s partner universities, including CUHK. It aims to attract talented international students for advanced educational experiences, and provides a means for the University to learn more about the global community. Application for the 2019–20 academic year is now open till 11 January 2019 (internal deadline).
TERMS OF AWARD
- Full tuition for study in a doctoral or master’s degree programme at WUSTL (please refer to the webpage for a list of the programmes).
- A 12-month living stipend each year. This stipend is set at US$28,000 for the year beginning 16 August 2019.
- A one-time travel allowance of up to US$1,500 for travel to St. Louis.
- An annual travel allowance of up to US$2,000 for a trip to the Scholar’s alma mater, i.e. CUHK.
Applicants must be graduates of CUHK (either undergraduate or postgraduate) and must be admitted to one of a select group of full-time doctoral or master’s degree programmes at WUSTL.
Application to the McDonnell Academy is separate from, and in addition to an application to a doctoral or master’s degree programme at WUSTL. Applicants are advised to observe the different application requirements and deadlines on the individual programme websites.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION
Applicants are required to submit their applications online with a 1,000-word essay, a letter of recommendation and a short video. For the specific requirements of the application materials, please refer to the programme website. Applicants should forward a copy of their applications to the Office of Academic Links (c/o Ms. Alice Leong; email@example.com) by 11 January 2019 (Friday) for necessary follow-up.
The 49th St. Gallen Symposium Essay Competition
The 49th St. Gallen Symposium essay competition is now calling for entries. It will be held during 8–10 May 2019 at the University of St. Gallen, Switzerland, focusing on the topic ‘Capital for Purpose’. The St. Gallen Wings of Excellence Award is the world’s most prestigious essay competition of its kind, allowing the extraordinary opportunity to share one’s voice and opinion with some of the world’s most influential leaders and decision makers at the St. Gallen Symposium.
If you would like to present your ideas to world leaders such as Heng Swee Keat, Minister of Finance of Singapore; Ignazio Cassis, Head of the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs; Piyush Gupta, Chief Executive Officer and Director of DBS Group, seize the opportunity and qualify as one of 200 ‘Leaders of Tomorrow’ at the 49th St. Gallen Symposium by joining the essay competition for the St. Gallen Wings of Excellence Award.
The award includes the following highlights:
- A prize money of CHF 20,000 shared by the three winners
- Expenses for travel, board and lodging covered, travel service provided
- Join the debate with 600 top global leaders and decision makers
- Share your thoughts, ideas and visions with the global elite
- Meet 200 of the world’s brightest young minds
- Small and intimate gatherings with world leaders, exclusively for the Leaders of Tomorrow
- Broad media coverage
- Become a member of a truly unique and strong global community
Applicants must fulfill the following criteria:
- Enrolled in a graduate or postgraduate programme (master level or higher) in any field of study
- Born in 1989 or later
The submission deadline for the competition is 1 February 2019.
For more information, please visit the webpage.