Global Scholarship Programme for Research Excellence for 2014-15
Deadlines: 10 March 2014 (for CUHK PhD students)
31 March 2013 (for Visiting PhD students)
**NEW**: The list of awardees for 2014-15 can be viewed HERE.
The Global Scholarship Programme for Research Excellence is designed to enhance research excellence at the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) through building and strengthening the University's ties with leading research universities and institutes around the world and to increase the visibility of CUHK as a world-class research university through student mobility.
The Programme supports PhD students of CUHK to undertake short-term research visits at a selected group of leading research institutions listed in the Programme Guidelines. In addition, it supports PhD students from those institutions to undertake short-term research attachments at CUHK.
Six additional institutions are newly added and please refer to the Programme Guidelines for details.
The programme details of each category of applicants are highlighted as follow:
Eligibility and Terms
CUHK PhD Students
• Applicants must be registered full-time PhD students at CUHK at the time of application and during the research visit. Priority will be given to applicants who will be in their 3rd or 4th year of study when they undertake the visit.
• The research visit shall last for a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 6 months. It shall be carried out and completed between 1 September 2014 and 31 August 2015, and prior to the submission of final thesis.
• Applicants should possess a cumulative GPA of 3.30 or above.
• The value of the award will vary based on the duration and destination of visit. Normally the amount will range from HK$15,000 to HK$50,000.
Visiting PhD Students
• Applicants must be registered full-time PhD students at one of the institutions listed in the Programme Guidelines.
• The research visit shall last for at least one month. It shall be carried out and completed between 1 September 2014 and 31 August 2015.
• Award holders will receive free on-campus housing during their visit.
Applicants must present a clear proposal for high impact research with the host and demonstrate a history of collaboration with the host. Previous Global Scholarship Programme award holders may apply but priority will be given to first time applicants. Those who had been awarded twice before are not eligible to apply.
For more details on the Programme, please refer to the respective programme guidelines.
Completed applications should be submitted to the Office of Academic Links (c/o Global Scholarship Programme) by the closing date via the following channels:
• CUHK PhD students should submit their applications via the Office of Academic Links by Monday, 10 March 2014.
• Visiting PhD students should submit their applications via the CUHK Host Department and should be sent to the Office of Academic Links by Monday, 31 March 2014 (extended deadline).
Only one award will be made to each applicant. Applicants will be notified of the results in May 2014.
Programme Guidelines and Forms
Applicants can download their respective Programme Guidelines, application forms, and post-visit report forms from the following links:
For CUHK PhD Students
For Visiting PhD Students
For general enquiries, please contact Mr. TC Chan on 3943-7036 or at email@example.com.
CUHK's Group Travel Insurance
PhD students will normally be covered by the University's Group Travel Insurance policy while undertaking approved overseas attachments. Award holders may download the respective insurance policy at https://www.cuhk.edu.hk/bursary/stf/eng/bus_insurance.html.