The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) played host to the largest international education conference ever in the region during 11-14 March 2013 at the AsiaWorld-Expo as part of its golden jubilee celebration—the 8th Asia-Pacific Association for International Education (APAIE) Conference and Exhibition. Through organizing this distinguished event, CUHK was brought to the spotlight in the international education arena, reinforcing its role as a world-class university with a global vision.
Some 1,300 educators, policy-makers and experts from all over the world gathered in Hong Kong to discuss the new developments and changes in international higher education at the event. Over 150 exhibition booths from different education institutions were set up to showcase the higher education landscape in different parts of the world. Both the numbers of participating delegates and exhibitors in this year's conference have reached a record high.
Driven by the changing political, social and economic landscape of the Asia-Pacific region, higher education institutions in the region have been increasingly embracing international education as their strategic mission. Themed 'An Ascendant Asia-Pacific: International Higher Education in the 21st Century', the 4-day conference looked at the challenges and opportunities for institutions inside and outside the region in view of this transformation.
The four-day conference featured two keynote addresses, 46 parallel sessions, a large-scale exhibition with 157 booths, a Presidents' Roundtable and a 'Global Dialogue' session gathering heads of international education associations from five continents to exchange ideas.
Highlights of the event included:
- Keynote speech by Prof. Joseph Sung, Vice-Chancellor of CUHK
- Keynote speech by Madam Zhang Xiuqin, Director General, Department of International Cooperation and Exchanges, Ministry of Education, People's Republic of China
- Over 110 proposals presented in 46 parallel sessions
- 91 exhibitors, totaling 157 booths
- Over 80 university leaders and education experts participated in the Presidents' Roundtable
- Leaders of international education associations spoke at the first ever Global Dialogue
- Gala dinner with cultural performances
To learn more about the event, please click here to view OAL's e-newsletter.
To view the online album of the event, please click here.