Home / Visiting Students / Term Time Exchange


Term Time Exchange

Getting Started
Going on exchange is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, so why not make it an exciting and rewarding one?

Hong Kong is Asia’s World City that never sleeps. You can discover the perfect blend of contrasts where East meets West, where busy city pace meets natural countryside and where endless skyscrapers meet traditional lifestyles.

CUHK has been welcoming exchange students since 1965 and provides the ideal learning and living environment to help our international students strive in their academics and engage with the university community. Build your knowledge by learning from our galaxy of distinguished scholars. Immerse yourself in our welcoming, multicultural, and green campus. Continue your major studies, while at the same time enrich your knowledge in all things China with our comprehensive catalogue of courses focused on Hong Kong, China and the region. Make lifelong friendships with local and international peers through the residential college system unique to Hong Kong.

Are you ready for the CUHK experience? Let’s get started. Here’s everything you need to know about studying at CUHK.

Programme Information

Programme Dates 2019/20

First Term Second Term
Expected arrival date:
first day for hostel check-in
26 or 27 August 2019
(for returned students: 31 August 2019 from 2 p.m.)
2 January 2020
for newly admitted students
28 – 31 August 2019 3 – 5 January 2020
Classes begin 2 September 2019 6 January 2020
Classes end 30 November 2019 18 April 2020
Examination period 4 – 20 December 2019 22 April –
9 May 2020

If you arrive before the first day of hostel check-ins, you will need to arrange your own accommodation.
Helpful tip! Check the last day of your examinations before making travel plans or booking return flights.

Course Information

CUHK offers undergraduate and postgraduate level courses under the faculties of Arts, Business Administration, Education, Engineering, Law, Medicine, Science, and Social Science.

Cantonese is the main spoken language in Hong Kong, but CUHK is a multilingual university, with English or Putonghua (Mandarin) used as the languages of instruction for many courses.

Overseas exchange and study-abroad students can take most undergraduate and postgraduate courses.

Click here for the list of courses not available for exchange or study-abroad students, and additional information for Law courses, undergraduate Business Administration courses, and students affiliated with S. H. Ho College.

Course availability is subject to a quota and the final decision of faculties, programmes and units.

Helpful tip! Courses offered by the Faculty of Business Administration and the Faculty of Law are very popular. Consider second choices and make backup plans.

International Asian Studies Programme (IASP) courses are tailored for exchange and study-abroad students to enhance their critical thinking and analytical skills from a unique cross-cultural perspective.

Course Code Course Title Term Units Time
IASP4090 Independent Research on International Studies I (for undergraduates)
Research Proposal Form | Supervisor Approval Form
1st 3 N/A
IASP5090 Independent Research on International Studies I (for postgraduates)
Research Proposal Form | Supervisor Approval Form
1st 3 N/A
IASP4280A International Asian Studies Programme Senior Seminar 2nd 3 Fri 3.30-6.15pm
IASP4280B International Asian Studies Programme Senior Seminar 2nd 3 Fri 3.30-6.15pm
IASP4091 Independent Research on International Studies II (for undergraduates) 2nd 3 N/A
IASP5091 Independent Research on International Studies II (for postgraduates) 2nd 3 N/A

The Yale–China Chinese Language Centre (CLC) offers elementary, intermediate and advanced Chinese proficiency courses in both Cantonese and Putonghua (Mandarin).

The CLC recommends courses and timetables for students based on a placement test during the orientation week.

The number of Chinese proficiency courses you can register depends on the exchange or study-abroad programme you are on. Click here for more details.

Some Chinese proficiency courses are available for the online course pre-selection. Click here for more details.

MBA exchange students should consult the CLC before taking Chinese-language courses at CUHK.

First-term MBA exchange students: Course Details / Course Fees
Second and third-term MBA exchange students: Course Details and Fees


Course Load

At CUHK, one unit or credit is roughly equivalent to one hour of instruction per week. Most three-unit courses feature either three hours of lectures or two hours of lectures and one hour of tutorials per week. Students receive credits for all courses successfully completed, according to the academic standards of the department.

Undergraduate Students
All undergraduate exchange and study-abroad students will need to take a full load of courses, meaning between 9 and 18 units per term.

Postgraduate Students
Postgraduate exchange and study-abroad students, except those from programmes with a specific course-load requirement, can either take a full load of 9 to 18 units of courses, or conduct research by taking a minimum of three units per term.






Timetable and Course Description

Click here for more details.

Online Course Pre-selection

You can select courses you would like to take before the term begins. Click here for instructions.

Adding and Dropping Courses

You can add or drop courses during the add/drop period, which is usually in September for the first term and January for the second. More information will be provided during the orientation period.

If you’re seeking your academic department’s approval for adding or dropping a course, you should provide them with your most up-to-date official transcript, a course description, and documentation indicating the course is required for graduation.

Late requests to add or drop courses will be approved only in exceptional circumstances. Not following the add/drop schedule or not checking the final course enrolment results are not acceptable reasons

Helpful tip! Make sure you check your course enrolment records and make your final adjustments within the add/drop period.


You will be assessed on every course you study at CUHK. Assessment criteria can include attendance, class work, written work, laboratory work, field work, research papers, tests and examinations.

Some courses use the centralised examination scheme, meaning final examinations are held during a centralised examination period, which usually begins in mid-December in the first term and late April in the second. You can find the examination timetable on the Registration and Examinations Section website. Other courses schedule examinations according to teacher and student preferences.

Requests to reschedule examinations or for exemptions from examinations for personal reasons, such as overseas trips or driving tests will not be considered. If you miss an examination without permission, you will receive an F (failure) grade.

Helpful tip! Talk to your advisor at the Office of Academic Links immediately after the examination timetable is released if you have any questions.

Credit Transfer

In most circumstances, your home institution will recognise credits earned at CUHK. You can consult your home institution to make sure that this is the case, and find out how to transfer credits.

At CUHK, one credit or unit is approximately equivalent to one hour of instruction per week. Most three-unit courses consist of three hours of lectures or two hours of lectures and one of tutorials each week.

Grading system at CUHK


For non-Business Administration Master’s Programme exchange and study-abroad students

For Business Administration Master’s Programme exchange and study-abroad students

Debit notes are usually sent to students via online application system or through the Chinese University Student Information System (CUSIS). A bank draft or the online payment record (only for payments of less than or equal to HK$3,000) should be returned to the Office of Academic Links (OAL) as proof of payment.

Before arrival in Hong Kong, students are required to settle the following fees:
(Debit note items vary according to different exchange/study abroad programme agreements/terms)

  • administration fee
  • visa application fee
  • programme fee (for study abroad students only)
  • hostel deposit
  • hostel room fee and residents’ association fee (for postgraduate exchange and study abroad students only)

Upon arrival in Hong Kong, students are required to settle the following fees:
(Debit note items vary according to different exchange/study abroad programme agreements/items)

  • caution money
  • hostel room fee (for undergraduate exchange and study abroad students only)
  • hostel related fees (e.g. college fee/college student association fee/hostel laundry fee/residence fees)
  • hostel air-conditioning charges
  • meal charge (if applicable)
  • student union membership fees (for undergraduate study abroad students only)
  • miscellaneous charges

Living Costs

Living in Hong Kong is expensive, but studying at CUHK can be extremely affordable: on-campus dormitories, student canteens and transportation are all heavily subsidised.

First Term Second Term Full Year
Undergraduate Hostel      
Hostel Fees 7,500 7,500 15,000
Hostel Deposit (refundable) 1,000 1,000 1,000
Postgraduate Hostel
Hostel Fees 12,500 12,500 25,000
Hostel Deposit (refundable) 3,500 3,500 3,500
Visa Application Fee 630 630 630
Administration Fee 1,100 1,100 1,100
Books and Supplies 5,000 5,000 10,000
Meals 26,000 26,000 52,000
Mandatory Meal Plan* 2,200 2,200 4,400
Local Transportation 3,100 3,100 6,200
Caution Money (refundable) 450 450 450

*Students assigned to Morningside,  S.H. Ho and C.W. Chu Colleges are required to purchase a meal plan to cover three mandatory college communal dinners per week.

Financial Aid

You can find out information for available funding for study-abroad programmes from the financial aid office at your home institution.

Undergraduate students from the US can apply for the NSEP David L Boren Scholarship or the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship.

Japanese students can apply for MEXT scholarships through their home institutions.