Belt & Road
The Belt and Road Initiative (B&R, also known as ‘One Belt, One Road’) unveiled by Chinese President Xi Jinping in 2013 is an important strategy of the nation. The Initiative aims to promote China’s connectivity with the rest of Asia, Europe, and Africa via the land-based ‘Silk Road Economic Belt’ and the seagoing ‘21st Century Maritime Silk Road’, and strengthen cooperation in policy, infrastructure, trade, finance, and cultural bonding in people, providing a visionary blueprint for global economic development in the new world order. The routes cover more than 60 countries and regions from Asia to Europe via Southeast Asia, South Asia, Central Asia, West Asia and the Middle East, currently accounting for some 30% of global GDP and more than 35% of the world’s merchandise trade. By 2050, the B&R regions aims to contribute 80% of global GDP growth, and advance three billion more people into the middle class.
In line with this national initiative, the HKSAR Government has been encouraging the education sector to strengthen relationship with institutions along the B&R regions with a view to facilitating interactions and exchanges, and bridging China and the world. The Initiative presents many opportunities for the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) to further its internationalisation effort with institutions in the B&R regions, such as student recruitment, student and faculty mobility, as well as academic and research collaborations. In particular, CUHK has set up the Global China Research Programme to lead the research effort on B&R.
The University attaches great importance in this area and is committed to strengthening its engagement through organising and promoting different programmes and activities related to B&R to the CUHK community. Some of them are highlighted below:
- 2018 ASAIHL Conference ‘Higher Education for Diversity and Global Citizenship’, 11-13 December 2018, Qazvin Islamic Azad University , Iran Learn more
- Global China Research Working Seminar “Rethinking Global Development: China’s BRI, Geo-developmentalism & the Challenge of a New Order”, 29 June 2018, CUHK Learn more
- Belt and Road Summit (organised by the HKSAR Government & Hong Kong Trade Development Council), Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition Centre, 28 June 2018 Learn more
- Office of Academic Links (China) – B&R activities in China
- Hong Kong Trade Development Council – Belt & Road Initiative
To provide new or updated information on B&R Initiative, please contact Ms. Yvonne Heung of OAL.