APRU Virtual Student Exchange Program
(Commencing in August/September 2020)
Are you looking for international exchange opportunities but are unable to join because of current health and safety concerns, restrictions on international travel, budget constraints, or other commitments?
The Association of Pacific Rim Universities (APRU) Virtual Student Exchange (VSE) is an innovative breakthrough in global education. Utilizing online platforms and advanced technologies, the Program provides an opportunity for you to participate in an exchange without the need to travel.
Take Academic Courses
Academic courses, many bearing credits, in a range of disciplines are available for undergraduate CUHK students under the APRU VSE. You can take one course from the catalogue of courses available. Enrich your knowledge and earn credits from the course offering universities. Apply for course and unit exemption at CUHK after successful completion (subject to final approval from the respective CUHK department).
Courses available to CUHK students are listed below. Check for full course details at the VSE official website.
Please note each VSE course offering university has a slightly different starting date for its academic term, and a specific application period.
*Credit transfer provisionally approved by the relevant academic Departments. Final approval is subject to the relevant Department, Faculty and the CUHK Registry upon successful completion according to the course outline.
The VSE presents opportunities for students to join co-curricular programmes offered by APRU member universities. With a network of 55 leading universities around the world you can connect with peers across the globe through cultural immersion, global leadership, career planning and social programmes that take place throughout the term.
Check out the available VSE Co-curricular Programmes now!
Application for Academic Courses
CUHK undergraduate students can apply to VSE courses through the VSE Central Office.
To enroll, CUHK students should:
- Complete and submit the VSE online application (application for CUHK students in Fall2020 closed due to overwhelming response).
- Download the VSE Endorsement Form, complete the required sections, and send the partially completed VSE Endorsement Form, CUHK transcript and VSE application confirmation email to Alex Chau at the Office of Academic Links for forwarding to the VSE Central Office.
- The VSE Central Office and the course offering university will notify you once you are admitted to the VSE academic course. After you have received the admission letter/email from the course offering university, complete the additional endorsement procedures at CUHK only if the course you are taking is credit bearing.
- Download and complete the required sections on the CUHK Endorsement Form.
- Email the partially completed CUHK Endorsement Form and the admission letter/email from the course offering university to Alex Chau for processing.
- You will be notified once your Form has been endorsed by your major department and submitted to the RES.
Points to note for CUHK students applying to the VSE:
- How many VSE academic courses can I take? You may enroll in one academic course at the VSE Program commencing in August/September 2020. If you wish to enroll in more than one course, you should seek approval from the VSE Central Office.
- Are VSE academic course credits counted towards my CUHK course load in Term 1 of 2020-21?
Yes for credit bearing courses. No for non-credit bearing courses. Approvals from your major department and the Registration and Examination Section are required for taking more than 18 credit units, including VSE academic course credits, in a term.
- Do I need to make an application to transfer my VSE course credits to CUHK?
Yes. If you wish to transfer the credits earned from the VSE academic course, you should make an application to the RES for course and unit exemption after you have received the transcript from the course offering university. Transferability of VSE academic course credits is subject to the approval of CUHK Faculties and Departments.